Few things are better on a hot day than a cold refreshing drink. If it comes in a highball glass with fresh mint from the garden, you are pretty close to perfect!
- 1 oz. fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp. sugar (a superfine sugar is best)
- 12 fresh mint leaves
- Approx. 2 oz. white rum
- club soda
- lime wedge & fresh mint for garnish
- Begin by pouring the lime juice into a highball glass. Add sugar and stir to help dissolve.
- Before adding your fresh mint leaves, give each leaf a squeeze between your fingers. This will help to release the taste and aroma. Mint is a surprisingly delicate herb. Many people muddle the leaves, this is a rookie mistake. Muddling can actually alter the mint flavor and make it bitter…not at all refreshing.
- Finally, add ice, rum and a splash of club soda.Garnish with lime wedge and fresh mint.
While you are harvesting your mint, grab a cucumber from the garden. Adding a few slices of cucumber adds a little something special.